The Corporate Communications team at Thinfilm is expanding. We are seeking a talented communications professional who is passionate about writing, has a strong sense of curiosity, and possesses a knack for creative storytelling. This candidate is expected produce a high volume of quality content and serve as “the voice” of Thinfilm. The role requires that this individual will work collaboratively with various internal and external stakeholders to create a range of deliverables that effectively communicate our solutions, key messages, and value proposition.
The ideal candidate will bring a proactive, strategically-minded approach to creating crisp, compelling, easily digestible messaging and content that resonates with the constituents and vertical markets we target. He/she will 1) be familiar with the digital/mobile marketing landscape, 2) be able to write in a range of styles and tones that resonate with varying audiences, 3) have a track record of producing significant amounts of related content, and 3) be adept at balancing multiple projects and priorities. As the Director / Sr. Director – Writer / Journalist, the ideal candidate will use his/her creativity, strategic communications background, and writing skills to ensure that just the right words capture the attention of prospects, engage our customers, impress our influencers (analysts, media, etc.), and inform investors.
The Writer / Journalist will report directly to the SVP Corporate Communications. The position is based in San Jose, California.
- Creating compelling content that clearly communicates Thinfilm’s mobile marketing solutions, technology/products, brand identity and effectively accomplishes business objectives.
- Copywriting and editing for a range of marketing collateral and related deliverables, including white papers, executive positioning papers, website, case studies, blog posts, email copy, byline articles, intranet content, quarterly reports, annual report, and internal/employee communication.
- Copywriting and editing for all promotional and advertising materials, including banners, Google Adwords ads, social media postings, press releases, conference/exhibition signage and material, and other PR-related communications.
- Collaborating with the product marketing and technical teams on idea generation, content creation, and content marketing strategy; partnering with regional sales and business development teams to develop compelling external-facing marketing collateral.
- Collaborating with key external vendors, including a PR firm and a creative/digital agency
- Creating and managing an editorial calendar for corporate blog; interviewing internal/external contacts on identified blog topics; drafting blog entries and routing through appropriate review channels to finalize.
- Utilizing best practices for search engine optimization in all digital content creation.
- Establishing a clear and strong voice for Thinfilm.
- Setting and maintaining brand guidelines for style and tone in written communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or a communications-related major
- 8+ years of experience as a journalist or copywriter in traditional, online, and social mediums for a technology or software company, mobile marketing firm, digital agency, or media organization with a related focus
- Experience working in technology fields/industries and with marcom/journalistic writing
- Demonstrable track record of published articles, white papers, positioning briefs, executive summaries, case studies, etc. (expect to provide samples, portfolio)
- Versatility to write copy/content in different styles and tones so that it resonates with a range of constituent audiences – from digital marketing heads to institutional investors to editors of top-tier media/publications
- Experience/familiarity with NFC (near field communication) and other wireless communication protocols a definite plus
- Ability to reduce complex technical concepts to concise, business-oriented storylines
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to take a topic with which you may be somewhat unfamiliar, interview key internal/external contacts, and produce content that is engaging, accurate and compelling
- An understanding of key characteristics/attributes of the millennial demographic
- Ability to balance creativity with strategic business needs
- Strong project management skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Proactive team member and functional leader
- Solid Understanding of SEO/SEM copywriting
- Strong promotional and marketing copywriting skills for mobile/technology subjects
- Ability to express ideas clearly and draft storyboards for internal teams
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google Drive
- Diplomacy, flexibility, and grace under pressure